Tuesday, January 9, 2007

Winter of Code (Part 1)

So this year's resolution is to write a cool, useful, standalone windows program. Something that others can find useful too. Something that I can be proud of. It should be a relatively simple program to begin with. The time frame is 6 months, so by June it should be released.

So what do I have in mind? a file explorer, one that addresses the things that explorer does poorly. I been wanting one of these for a long time now and last time I looked around I did not like anything out there.

I won't go into a deep analysis of explorer here; I think you can find plenty of complaints in newsgroups and the like. To me, the most troubling issue is that explorer is trying to be all things to all people and it does not seem to do anything particularly well.

I have played with the vista version and it certainly addresses some issues but others have gotten worse, way worse.

Anyhow, I am rambling now so let's leave the rest for other posts where I would focus on specific items.

The posts in these series will be very technical. Enjoy.

No comments: